Thompson leads Rider past Fairfield 73-69
LAWRENCEVILLE, N.J. (AP)—Ryan Thompson scored 22 points—including two key free throws in the closing seconds— to lead Rider past Fairfield 73-69 on Sunday.
The Broncs (18-11, 12-6 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference) appeared to be in command when they took a 69-60 lead with 4:25 left to play, but the Stags (16-14, 9-9) responded with a 9-0 run—featuring six points by Yorel Hawkins— to tie it with 1:41 remaining.
Harris Mansell then hit a jumper on Rider’s next possession and, after both teams missed shots, Thompson was fouled while grabbing an offensive rebound with 14.6 seconds left. He then hit both free throws to seal the win.
Mansell finished with 17 points, while Mike Ringgold and Novar Gadson each had 12 for the Broncs. Lyndon Jordan led the Stags with 18 points, while Hawkins and Herbie Allen both finished with 15 and Mike Evanovich had 14.
- Uni-fail: Nike misspells Kentucky on John Wall’s jersey
- Arizona's Talbott Denny injures knee, out for season
- Tennessee permitted to hire new AD before Hart's exit date
- Shawn Forrest named assistant coach for Jankovich at SMU
- Former Butler basketball star Joel Cornette dies at age 35
- Hamilton signs with Texas Tech after 3 seasons at DePaul