Nevada 84, Utah St. 71
RENO, Nev. (AP)—Armon Johnson scored 28 points and Luke Babbitt 21 as Nevada opened a 23-point lead in the first half Saturday night, then hung on to beat Utah State 84-71.
Johnson made 11-of-18 shots from the field and Babbitt hit 10-of-11 free throws while pulling down nine rebounds for the Wolf Pack, who are 17-11, 9-5 in the Western Athletic Conference.
Gary Wilkinson had a team-high 16 points and Tai Wesley 10 points and 10 rebounds for Utah State (26-4, 13-2), which has already clinched the WAC regular season title.
Nevada led 47-32 at the half and was ahead by as much as 41-18 thanks mostly to making six of it’s first shots from 3-point range—two by Johnson and one each by Babbitt, Lyndale Burleson and Brandon Fields, who finished with 16 points.
- Nevada 84, Utah St. 71
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0