Western Kentucky routs Middle Tennessee 68-49
MURFREESBORO, Tenn. (AP)—Orlando Mendez-Valdez scored with 19 points, grabbed five rebounds and had five assists to lead Western Kentucky to a 68-49 victory over Middle Tennessee on Saturday night.
A.J. Slaughter and Sergio Kerusch added 13 points apiece for the Hilltoppers (21-8, 15-3 Sun Belt Conference), who ended their regular season with a four-game winning streak.
Western Kentucky opened the game with a 13-5 lead after Slaughter made a layup with 14:38 left in the first half. The Hilltoppers followed that with an 11-0 run, holding Middle Tennessee scoreless for more than seven minutes.
Western Kentucky went into halftime with a 39-17 lead, controlling the rest of the contest.
Montarrio Haddock paced the Blue Raiders (17-13, 10-8) with 13 points on 5 of 10 shooting. Calvin O’Neil and Kevin Kanaskie chipped in with 10 points apiece.
- Western Kentucky routs Middle Tennessee 68-49
- Best bets for Sunday's NCAA Elite Eight matchups
- Gonzaga's Mark Few doesn't feel he needs a Final Four to validate his legacy
- Florida stuns Wisconsin in best game of NCAA tournament
- What to watch for in Kentucky vs. North Carolina
- These photos of Florida's buzzer-beater are almost as incredible as the shot itself
- Wisconsin's Zak Showalter hits miraculous 3, celebrates with Aaron Rodgers' belt move (Video)
- De'Aaron Fox upstages Lonzo Ball, powers Kentucky to the Elite Eight
- Xavier hits insane 80-foot shot that is ultimately waved off in wild 30-second stretch (Video)
- Indiana hires Dayton's Archie Miller as new coach
- Canyon Barry's LeBron-esque block is the great play that nobody will remember
- How De'Aaron Fox ended Lonzo Ball's college career and lifted Kentucky to the brink of another Final Four
- De'Aaron Fox carries Kentucky past UCLA
- Lonzo Ball 'looked disinterested,' and 'had one eye on the NBA'
- Lonzo Ball basically declared for the NBA draft immediately after UCLA's NCAA tournament loss
- Commercials during March Madness mistakenly thank Republicans for repealing Obamacare