Southern U. defeats Alcorn State 90-61
BATON ROUGE, La. (AP)—Chris Davis scored 18 points to lead Southern University to a 90-61 victory over Alcorn State on Saturday.
Davis added six assists for the Jaguars (8-20, 8-8 Southwestern Athletic Conference), while Barry Honore’ chipped in with 16 points.
Southern held a 42-34 halftime lead then opened the second half with a 17-5 run to take a 59-39 lead with 15:52 remaining. Davis’ 3-pointer with 15:01 left put the Jaguars up by 21, and the Braves (6-23, 4-12) never got closer after that point.
The Jaguars led by as many as 31.
Alcorn State was paced by Troy Jackson, who scored 18. Jarvis Williams added 14 for the Braves, who have lost four of their last five games.
Southern outrebounded Alcorn State 55-26. The Jaguars shot 50 percent from the field (33-for-66).
- Southern U. defeats Alcorn State 90-61
- Best bets for NCAA tournament Final Four
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four