Creighton beats Illinois St. 74-70
OMAHA, Neb. (AP)—Booker Woodfox scored 20 points and hit four clutch free throws in the last 18 seconds as Creighton beat Illinois State 74-70 Saturday to secure at least a share of the Missouri Valley Conference regular-season title.
P’Allen Stinnett also finished with 20 points for the Bluejays (25-6, 14-4), who have won 10 straight games. Creighton came into the game tied for the conference lead with Northern Iowa, which played Evansville Saturday night.
Leading 51-50 with 15:14 to play, the Bluejays went on a 12-1 run to get some breathing room against the Redbirds (22-8, 11-7). But ISU wouldn’t go away, closing within 72-70 on Dinma Odiakosa’s dunk with 11 seconds remaining.
Woodfox then sealed it with two free throws with 7 seconds to play.
Holloway and Champ Oguchi had 14 points apiece for the Redbirds, who will be the third seed at the MVC tournament. Osiris Eldridge and Odiakosa had 13 points each and Lloyd Phillips added 12.
- Creighton beats Illinois St. 74-70
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Michigan team breakdown
- Oregon team breakdown
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- Butler team breakdown
- Purdue team breakdown