Creighton beats Illinois St. 74-70
OMAHA, Neb. (AP)—Booker Woodfox scored 20 points and hit four clutch free throws in the last 18 seconds as Creighton beat Illinois State 74-70 Saturday to secure at least a share of the Missouri Valley Conference regular-season title.
P’Allen Stinnett also finished with 20 points for the Bluejays (25-6, 14-4), who have won 10 straight games. Creighton came into the game tied for the conference lead with Northern Iowa, which played Evansville Saturday night.
Leading 51-50 with 15:14 to play, the Bluejays went on a 12-1 run to get some breathing room against the Redbirds (22-8, 11-7). But ISU wouldn’t go away, closing within 72-70 on Dinma Odiakosa’s dunk with 11 seconds remaining.
Woodfox then sealed it with two free throws with 7 seconds to play.
Holloway and Champ Oguchi had 14 points apiece for the Redbirds, who will be the third seed at the MVC tournament. Osiris Eldridge and Odiakosa had 13 points each and Lloyd Phillips added 12.
- Creighton beats Illinois St. 74-70
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four
- CBS Columbus affiliate cuts away from North Carolina-Kentucky finish, viewers miss winning shot
- South Carolina surprises again, advances to first Final Four
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Final Four game times, matchups, TV schedule, betting odds set
- Luke Maye's dramatic last-second jumper sends North Carolina to the Final Four
- Recently fired Tom Crean attends Indiana women's basketball game