S.C.-Upstate beats Mercer 93-90 in double OT
SPARTANBURG, S.C. (AP)—Bobby Davis finished with 33 points and 11 rebounds to lead South Carolina-Upstate to a 93-90 win over Mercer in double overtime on Thursday night.
Josh Chavis added 20 points for the Spartans (8-20, 7-12 Atlantic Sun Conference), while Nick Schneiders chipped in 10 points and seven blocks.
Davis made two free throws with 10 seconds remaining in regulation to tie the game at 74 and force overtime. In the first extra period, Daniel Emerson scored four straight points for the Bears (17-13, 11-8) to give them an 85-82 advantage with 26 seconds left. But Gabor Boros made a 3-pointer with 7 seconds remaining to force a second overtime.
In the second OT, Mercer failed to score in the first three minutes. Chavis’ free throw with 11 seconds left gave the Spartans a 93-87 lead to ensure the win.
James Florence scored 38 points to lead Mercer.
- Meet the Tar Heels fan who drives to games in a custom hearse
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the west returns and defense triumphs
- CBS Columbus affiliate cuts away from North Carolina-Kentucky finish, viewers miss winning shot
- Recently fired Tom Crean attends Indiana women's basketball game
- How a gut-wrenching loss, a promise, and countless post-practice shots fueled Oregon’s Final Four run
- Somehow ... someway ... the SEC is dominating the NCAA tournament
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Final Four game times, matchups, TV schedule, betting odds set
- Luke Maye's dramatic last-second jumper sends North Carolina to the Final Four
- Follow NCAA tournament Elite Eight action
- Gonzaga's Mark Few after reaching Final Four at last: 'Might as well win it all'
- Xavier's J.P. Macura hits 80-foot shot that is ultimately waved off during wild 30-second stretch