Western Carolina defeats Samford 65-58
CULLOWHEE, N.C. (AP)—Richie Gordon had 23 points and nine rebounds as Western Carolina held off Samford 65-58 on Thursday night.
Trailing 37-33 at halftime, the Catamounts (15-14, 10-9 Southern Conference) started the second half with a 15-2 run to lead 48-39 with 14:28 left.
The Bulldogs (13-15, 8-11) then put together their own rally, sparked by Josh Bedwell, who scored 11 of his 24 points in a four-minute spurt for a 57-55 Samford lead with 4:01 remaining.
Western Carolina quickly regained the advantage on a Brandon Giles 3-pointer and held on despite shooting 3 of 7 from the free-throw line in the last 52 seconds.
Brigham Waginger and Adrian Gailliard scored 10 points apiece for the Catamounts, who are now 10-2 at home this season.
Josh Davis added 16 points for the Bulldogs, who made 12 of 25 shots from 3-point range, and Trey Montgomery had 12.
- Western Carolina defeats Samford 65-58
- Florida stuns Wisconsin in best game of NCAA tournament
- What to watch for in Kentucky vs. North Carolina
- These photos of Florida's buzzer-beater are almost as incredible as the shot itself
- Wisconsin's Zak Showalter hits miraculous 3, celebrates with Aaron Rodgers' belt move (Video)
- De'Aaron Fox upstages Lonzo Ball, powers Kentucky to the Elite Eight
- South Carolina stifles Baylor en route to Elite Eight
- Cash-strapped Cal promotes top assistant to replace Cuonzo Martin
- Canyon Barry's LeBron-esque block is the great play that nobody will remember
- How De'Aaron Fox ended Lonzo Ball's college career and lifted Kentucky to the brink of another Final Four
- De'Aaron Fox carries Kentucky past UCLA
- Lonzo Ball 'looked disinterested', 'had one eye on the NBA'
- Lonzo Ball basically declared for the NBA draft immediately after UCLA's NCAA tournament loss
- Commercials during March Madness mistakenly thank Republicans for repealing Obamacare
- North Carolina storms past Butler behind hot shooting and a healthy Joel Berry
- Fantasy basketball pickups: Young royalty worth a look