Western Kentucky beats Florida Atlantic 87-67
BOWLING GREEN, Ky. (AP)—Orlando Mendez-Valdez scored 20 points to lead Western Kentucky to an 87-67 win over Florida Atlantic on Thursday night.
Mendez-Valdez shot 4-for-8 from 3-point range for the Hilltoppers (20-8, 14-3 Sun Belt Conference). A.J. Slaughter chipped in with 19 points.
Western Kentucky jumped out to an 11-point lead early and extending that to as much as 21 in the first half. The Hilltoppers led 44-30 at the half.
Florida Atlantic (6-24, 2-15) used a stifling 1-2-2 press to get back into the game, carving the lead down to as little as 11. But Western Kentucky responded with a 13-0 run to put the game out of reach.
The win gave the Hilltoppers their eighth undefeated season at home in program history.
Paul Graham III scored 20 points to lead the Owls. Shavar Richardson added 15, and Carlos Monroe chipped in with 14 points and 11 rebounds.
- Western Kentucky beats Florida Atlantic 87-67
- Best bets for NCAA tournament Final Four
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four