Long Beach State edges UC Irvine 75-74
LONG BEACH, Calif. (AP)—Stephan Gilling made a career-high seven 3-pointers and scored 23 points to lead Long Beach State over UC Irvine 75-74 Thursday.
Gilling added two free throws with 29 seconds remaining that iced the game for the 49ers (14-12, 9-4 Big West Conference). The win moves Long Beach State into a tie with Cal State Northridge for first place in conference.
Trailing by 11 with less than two minutes to play, the Anteaters (10-18, 6-8) went on a 9-0 run to cut the 49ers’ lead to 73-71 with 1:08 left, but Irvine did not score again until Patrick Rembert hit a 3-pointer as the buzzer sounded.
TJ Robinson scored 14 points and Larry Anderson and Casper Ware each had 12 points for Long Beach State.
Eric Wise scored 17 points and Michael Hunter had 16 points for Irvine, who shot 56 percent.
The Anteaters made seven 3-pointers in the first half and led 36-35 at the break.
- Long Beach State edges UC Irvine 75-74
- Commercials during March Madness mistakenly thank Republicans for repealing Obamacare
- North Carolina storms past Butler behind hot shooting and a healthy Joel Berry
- Fantasy basketball pickups: Young royalty worth a look
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- De'Aaron Fox upstages Lonzo Ball, powers Kentucky to the Elite Eight
- South Carolina stifles Baylor en route to Elite Eight
- Cash-strapped Cal promotes top assistant to replace Cuonzo Martin
- Best bets for Saturday's Elite Eight matchups
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions