CS Northridge rallies past UC Santa Barbara 62-57
LOS ANGELES (AP)—Rodrigue Mels scored 19 points and Cal State Northridge used a barrage of free throws to rally past UC Santa Barbara 62-57 Wednesday in a game that featured 50 turnovers and 47 fouls.
The Matadors (13-12, 9-4 Big West) used a 33-15 run in the second half to stay in first place, though they made just one field goal in the final 10 minutes. Northridge made 27 of 37 free throw attempts.
Santa Barbara (12-14, 5-8) led 42-29 with 15 minutes left but missed 14 of its last 16 shots and committed 10 turnovers in that span. The Gauchos also went scoreless for 5:18 while Northridge went on a 10-point run.
Jesse Byrd scored 11 points for Santa Barbara, which led 29-23 at halftime but finished the game with 26 turnovers.
Kenny Daniels scored 13 points for Northridge.
- CS Northridge rallies past UC Santa Barbara 62-57
- Best bets for NCAA tournament Final Four
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four