Virginia Commonwealth defeats James Madison 71-52
HARRISONBURG, Va. (AP)—Eric Maynor scored 18 points and had eight assists to lead Virginia Commonwealth to a 71-52 victory over James Madison on Wednesday night.
Maynor just missed becoming the Rams’ all-time leading scorer and is only one point from tying Kendrick Warren, who had 1,858 points from 1990-94. Maynor, who entered the game averaging 23.1 points this season, has 1,857 career points.
The Rams (20-9, 13-4 Colonial Athletic Association) pulled away in the second half after leading 28-26 at halftime.
James Madison (18-12, 9-8) was only 16 of 50 from the floor (32 percent) and 2 of 20 from the 3-point line (10 percent). The Dukes’ Julius Wells was 0-for-10 from the field.
Larry Sanders had 14 points and 11 rebounds and Joey Rodriguez added 11 points for VCU.
Juwann James scored 19 points to lead James Madison.
- George Mason 79, Hampton 66
- No. 18 Purdue beats No. 8 Michigan State 82-81 in OT
- Villanova cruises by DePaul 86-59 in 1st game as No. 1 team
- Late basket helps No. 12 Miami edge Pittsburgh 65-63
- No. 22 Kentucky has it easy against Georgia in an 82-48 rout
- No. 19 Dayton rallies late for 76-74 win over Duquesne