S. Illinois escapes with 56-55 win over Drake
DES MOINES, Iowa (AP)—Southern Illinois let an eight-point lead slip away but held on to beat Drake 56-55 when the Bulldogs missed a free throw with one second remaining that would have tied the game.
Two free throws by Kevin Dillard gave SIU (12-17, 7-10) a 56-53 lead with 12 seconds left. Dillard led the Salukis, who snapped a four-game losing streak, with 15 points.
Drake’s Craig Stanley cut it to 56-54 with a free throw with eight seconds to play, and SIU’s Ryan Hare missed a free throw with six seconds remaining.
Josh Young was fouled and went to the line for Drake (17-13, 7-10) with one second left. He made the first, but missed the second.
Drake had a terrible night shooting, hitting just 28 percent from the field and from 3-point range. Jonathan Cox had 17 points and Stanley added 14.
SIU outrebounded Drake 44-35, leading to a 17-4 edge in second-chance points.
- You aren’t a dedicated North Carolina fan until you do this …
- Tennessee permitted to hire new AD before Hart's exit date
- Shawn Forrest named assistant coach for Jankovich at SMU
- Former Butler basketball star Joel Cornette dies at age 35
- Hamilton signs with Texas Tech after 3 seasons at DePaul
- Georgetown-Syracuse December game to honor Pearl Washington