S. Illinois escapes with 56-55 win over Drake
DES MOINES, Iowa (AP)—Southern Illinois let an eight-point lead slip away but held on to beat Drake 56-55 when the Bulldogs missed a free throw with one second remaining that would have tied the game.
Two free throws by Kevin Dillard gave SIU (12-17, 7-10) a 56-53 lead with 12 seconds left. Dillard led the Salukis, who snapped a four-game losing streak, with 15 points.
Drake’s Craig Stanley cut it to 56-54 with a free throw with eight seconds to play, and SIU’s Ryan Hare missed a free throw with six seconds remaining.
Josh Young was fouled and went to the line for Drake (17-13, 7-10) with one second left. He made the first, but missed the second.
Drake had a terrible night shooting, hitting just 28 percent from the field and from 3-point range. Jonathan Cox had 17 points and Stanley added 14.
SIU outrebounded Drake 44-35, leading to a 17-4 edge in second-chance points.
- S. Illinois escapes with 56-55 win over Drake
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four
- CBS Columbus affiliate cuts away from North Carolina-Kentucky finish, viewers miss winning shot
- South Carolina surprises again, advances to first Final Four
- Follow NCAA tournament Elite Eight action
- How a gut-wrenching loss, a promise, and countless post-practice shots fueled Oregon’s Final Four run
- Gonzaga's Mark Few after reaching Final Four at last: 'Might as well win it all'
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Final Four game times, matchups, TV schedule, betting odds set
- Luke Maye's dramatic last-second jumper sends North Carolina to the Final Four
- Recently fired Tom Crean attends Indiana women's basketball game
- How Oregon shut down Kansas to advance to Final Four
- Has Gonzaga finally silenced the doubters?
- Somehow ... someway ... the SEC is dominating the NCAA tournament