Winthrop beats Charleston Southern 57-52
ROCK HILL, S.C. (AP)—Andre Jones scored 19 points, including the go-ahead 3-pointer with 1:50 left, to help Winthrop rally from a 27-point first-half deficit and beat Charleston Southern 57-52 on Tuesday night.
The Eagles (10-18, 8-9 Big South Conference) trailed 42-19 at the break, then dominated the second half 38-10 to win their fourth straight game.
The 10 points is the fewest allowed by Winthrop in a half this season.
The Buccaneers (8-19, 3-13) shot a sizzling 70.8 percent in the first half (17 of 24), but hit only 14.8 percent in the second (4 of 27).
Winthrop shot 28 percent in the first half (7 of 25) and 51.9 percent in the second (14 of 27) for its 17th straight win over Charleston Southern, including 65-63 on Jan. 20.
Omar Carter scored 20 of his 22 points in the first half for the Buccaneers. Jamarco Warren had 16 of his 19 before halftime.
- Winthrop beats Charleston Southern 57-52
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Michigan team breakdown
- Butler team breakdown
- Kentucky team breakdown
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- Oregon team breakdown
- Purdue team breakdown
- Sweet 16 power rankings: Who are the new favorites to win the national championship?