VMI routs Liberty 109-72
LYNCHBURG, Va. (AP)—Chavis Holmes scored 24 points and twin brother Travis Holmes added 22 to lead six Virginia Military Institute players in double figures in a 109-72 rout of Liberty on Tuesday night.
The Keydets (21-7, 12-5 Big South Conference) snapped a three-game skid while scoring more than 100 points for the ninth time this season.
VMI, which hit 18 of 36 3-pointers, also avenged a 91-80 loss to Liberty on Jan. 17 that ended the Keydets’ 10-game winning streak.
VMI held Flames leading scorer Seth Curry to 14 points on 4-of-14 shooting. Anthony Smith scored 18 to lead Liberty (20-10, 11-6), which lost 80-56 at Old Dominion on Saturday.
VMI used a 13-2 run to close out the first half 49-35, then continued to build the lead to as many as 41 points.
Austin Kenon added 17 points for VMI and Willie Bell, Ron Burks and Keith Gabriel had 10 apiece.
- Winthrop holds off Liberty 65-62
- Kentucky's Calipari: Willis won't miss games despite arrest
- St. Bonaventure coach Schmidt gets 1-year contract extension
- Louisville AD: School is waiting on NCAA investigation
- East Tennessee State dismisses Shemar Johnson from team
- Alabama coach Avery Johnson gives supplies to flood victims