Allen scores 20 points in Temple win over Bonnies
PHILADELPHIA (AP)—Lavoy Allen scored 20 points, hitting all eight of his shots, and grabbed 18 rebounds, a career-high and Liacouras Center record, in leading Temple to a 70-56 victory over St. Bonaventure on Sunday.
Dionte Christmas added 18 points and Ryan Brooks had 12 for Temple (17-9, 9-3 Atlantic 10), which won its fifth in a row.
Chris Matthews had 15 points and Malcolm Eleby scored 14 for the Bonnies (13-13, 4-9), who lost to the Owls for the 11th straight time.
Allen dominated the first half, as Temple jumped out to an early 17-8 lead and cruised to a 38-26 halftime advantage. The 6-foot-9 sophomore hit all five of his shots in the half, scored 15 points and pulled down 14 rebounds—one more than the entire St. Bonaventure team.
Trailing 48-31 with 16:14 left in the game, the Bonnies went on a 14-3 run, cutting the lead to 51-44. But Temple scored six of the next seven, and the Bonnies never got closer than eight points.
Temple leads in the all-time series 49-6, and is 25-0 against St. Bonaventure in games played in Philadelphia.
- Even this year’s fan-friendly Duke team still inspires haters
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons