Spates leads Northeastern past Wright State 69-57
FAIRBORN, Ohio (AP)—Eugene Spates scored 22 points and Chaisson Allen had 20 as Northeastern took control near the end of the first half to beat Wright State 69-57 on Saturday.
Northeastern (17-10) went ahead for good on Spates’ jumper with 4:14 left in the first period. The score kicked off a 16-2 run that gave the Huskies a 37-24 halftime lead.
Wright State (16-12) got to within five with 3:18 remaining but Allen responded with a jumper and Northeastern added to that with free throws in the final minutes.
Todd Brown scored 15 points and Ronnie Thomas had 12 for the Raiders. Cory Cooperwood grabbed 10 boards, helping Wright State to a 30-23 rebound advantage, but the Raiders gave up 16 turnovers and shot just 41 percent.
Manny Adako added 10 points for the Huskies.
- Spates leads Northeastern past Wright State 69-57
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0