Chattanooga beats Samford 67-62
CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. (AP)—Stephen McDowell hit a go-ahead 3-pointer and two late free throws to lift Chattanooga to a 67-62 win over Samford on Saturday night.
Samford led by eight points at halftime, but Chattanooga opened the second with a 10-2 run that was sparked by two 3-pointers by McDowell, who finished with 16 points. Both teams traded leads the rest of the way as Samford pulled ahead 62-61 on Matthew Friday’s layup with just under four minutes to play.
But those were the last points for Samford, as McDowell hit a 3-pointer with 3:31 left on Chattanooga’s next possession and the Mocs defense held the Bulldogs scoreless for the final 3:59.
McDowell hit two foul shots with 2 seconds left to seal the win.
Nicchaeus Doaks led the Mocs (15-13, 11-6 Southern Conference) with 20 points.
Bryan Friday paced the Bulldogs (13-14, 8-10) with 16 points.
- On the bench, Blake Griffin looked dazed and confused
- Rising Bears: Baylor unranked to No. 4 in less than month
- White leads Colorado to 68-66 win over No. 13 Xavier
- No. 6 Kentucky regroups with 87-63 rout of Valparaiso
- Williams-Goss leads No. 8 Gonzaga over Washington 98-71
- No. 15 West Virginia stomps Western Carolina 90-37