Wolfpack holds off Cavaliers 72-67
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP)—Courtney Fells went 4-for-4 at the line in the final 7.2 seconds to help North Carolina State hold off Virginia 72-67 on Saturday.
Fells finished with just nine points, but the senior made several key plays to help the Wolfpack (15-10, 5-7 Atlantic Coast Conference) avoid what would have been a disastrous home loss. N.C. State blew almost all of an 18-point lead in the first half, then let a 17-point second-half lead slip all the way to a single point in the final seconds.
But Fells hit two free throws with 7.2 seconds left to push the margin to three. Then, after Virginia freshman Sylven Landesberg missed a free throw at the other end, Fells grabbed the rebound and drew the foul with 2 seconds left. He calmly sank both free throws to seal the victory.
Landesberg scored 16 points to lead the Cavaliers (9-14, 3-9).
- How did the tradition of cutting down the nets begin?
- Clemson signs another transfer, ex-Valparaiso F David Skara
- Lee will transfer from Kentucky, Briscoe returning to school
- Purdue's Swanigan will return to school for sophomore season
- White takes name out of NBA draft pool to return to Huskers
- Villanova, Oregon boosted by players turning down NBA Draft