Elon 72, N.C.-Wilmington 75
WILMINGTON, N.C. (AP)—Montez Downey scored 26 points to help North Carolina-Wilmington snap a four-game losing streak with a 75-72 victory over Elon on Saturday night.
Chad Tomko added 20 points for the Seahawks (7-22), who sent Elon (9-17) to its third loss in four games.
UNC-Wilmington led 59-45 with 11:45 remaining in the game before the Phoenix went on a 14-0 run to tie the score at 59-59 with 9:10 left.
Ola Atoyebi, who led Elon with 18 points, scored six during the surge, and Devan Carter and Chris Long made 3-pointers to help the Phoenix tie the score.
The Seahawks went on a 7-0 run and didn’t trail again despite not scoring from the field in the final 3:55.
Atoyebi’s jumper cut the lead to 73-72 with 14 seconds left, but Tomko hit two free throws for the final margin.
Carter added 14 points and Monty Sanders had 10 rebounds for the Phoenix.
- Stanford has improved, but Butler loss was a step backward
- Top 3 NCAA Tourney Gaffes...in Legos
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin is the world's biggest Pitbull fan
- One unlikely secret to Gonzaga's success: A recruiting pitch 'nobody really wants'
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Where does 2017 North Carolina rank among Roy Williams' best teams at UNC?
- North Carolina lawmakers agree to repeal HB2 right before NCAA deadline, but new bill isn't full reversal
- Death threats to a ref – the lunatics are threatening to overtake Kentucky's fan base
- Why Sindarius Thornwell's one-man NCAA tournament run ranks among best since 2000
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year