Western Carolina tops UNC Greensboro 69-56
GREENSBORO, N.C. (AP)—Harouna Mutombo scored 15 points to lead Western Carolina past North Carolina-Greensboro 69-56 on Saturday.
The Catamounts (14-13, 9-8 Southern Conference) never trailed, taking a 39-20 lead into halftime and then increasing the margin to 23 points at 54-31 with 13:53 left.
The Spartans (4-23, 3-15) pulled no closer than 13 the rest of the game, losing their fifth straight contest and 11th of the last 12.
Western Carolina made only 36.9 percent of its shots (24 of 65), but UNC Greensboro fared even worse at 30.9 percent (17 of 55). The Spartans went 18-for-31 from the free-throw line.
Brandon Giles added 13 points for the Catamounts. Richie Gordon and Brigham Waginger scored 10 apiece.
Damian Eargle was the only UNC Greensboro player in double figures with 17 points.
The Catamounts also defeated the Spartans 80-75 on Jan. 8.
- Western Carolina tops UNC Greensboro 69-56
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- Oregon team breakdown
- Purdue team breakdown
- Sweet 16 power rankings: Who are the new favorites to win the national championship?
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Michigan team breakdown
- Butler team breakdown
- Kentucky team breakdown
- Arizona team breakdown