Montana defeats Idaho St. 79-64
MISSOULA, Mont. (AP)—Anthony Johnson scored 26 points and had six assists to lead Montana to a 79-64 win over Idaho State on Saturday night.
Johnson was 7-of-10 from the field and made all 12 of his free throw attempts. Ryan Staudacher added 12 points, and Kyle Sharp finished with 11 points and 10 rebounds for the Grizzlies (17-10, 11-4 Big Sky).
Montana, which never trailed, took a 31-24 halftime lead despite Idaho State shooting 55 percent before the break.
Johnson scored 20 points in the second half, including back-to-back jumpers that pushed Montana’s lead to 46-37 with 13 minutes remaining. Staudacher’s 3-pointer with 4:10 remaining put Montana ahead 65-58 after Idaho State (10-18, 7-7) had cut the lead to four. Montana shot 68 percent from the field after the break.
Lucas Steijn led the Bengals with 14 points and eight rebounds, while Chron Tatum added 13 points.
The Grizzlies must win their final regular season game Thursday at Northern Colorado to clinch the second seed in next month’s conference tournament.
- How Kentucky's Josh Harrellson became known as 'Jorts'
- Recently fired Tom Crean attends Indiana women's basketball game
- How a gut-wrenching loss, a promise, and countless post-practice shots fueled Oregon’s Final Four run
- Somehow ... someway ... the SEC is dominating the NCAA tournament
- Indiana hires Dayton's Archie Miller as new coach
- Canyon Barry's LeBron-esque block is the great play that nobody will remember
- Luke Maye's dramatic last-second jumper sends North Carolina to the Final Four
- Follow NCAA tournament Elite Eight action
- Gonzaga's Mark Few after reaching Final Four at last: 'Might as well win it all'
- Xavier's J.P. Macura hits 80-foot shot that is ultimately waved off during wild 30-second stretch
- Gonzaga's Mark Few doesn't feel he needs a Final Four to validate his legacy