American beats Holy Cross 56-50
WASHINGTON (AP)—Garrison Carr scored 28 points, hitting five free throws in the final 35 seconds to help American University hold off Holy Cross 56-50 on Saturday.
With the win, American maintains its first place spot in the Patriot League.
The Eagles (19-7, 11-1) led the entire second half, building on a one-point halftime lead.
The Crusaders (14-13, 9-3) pulled the score to 49-46 on Adam May’s 3-pointer with 2:33 left, but Derrick Mercer’s layup pushed the lead to five for the Eagles with 1:12 to play. Carr hit his foul shots from there to seal the win.
Mercer finished with 11 points for the Eagles. Carr went 6-for-9 from beyond the arc.
Andrew Beinert led the Crusaders with 18 points and Andrew Keister scored 13 points and had 12 rebounds.
Beinert went 4-for-6 from beyond the 3-point line.
- American beats Holy Cross 56-50
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four
- CBS Columbus affiliate cuts away from North Carolina-Kentucky finish, viewers miss winning shot
- South Carolina surprises again, advances to first Final Four
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Final Four game times, matchups, TV schedule, betting odds set
- Luke Maye's dramatic last-second jumper sends North Carolina to the Final Four
- Recently fired Tom Crean attends Indiana women's basketball game