Rhode Island beats Massachusetts 71-59
AMHERST, Mass. (AP)—Keith Cothran scored 16 of his game-high 26 points in the tell-tale second half as Rhode Island came from behind to defeat Massachusetts 71-59 on Wednesday night.
There were six ties in the second half. Rhode Island stayed in front for good after a 57-57 deadlock after hoops by Cochran and Delroy James and points from the foul line by Jimmy Baron and Kahiem Seawright. That put the Rams on top 65-57 with 1:10 to play.
The Rams also got 9 points and 8 rebounds from Will Martell.
Rhode Island, (19-8, 8-4 Atlantic 10), has won seven of its last eight games. UMass (9-15, 4-7) has dropped six of its last eight.
Ricky Harris and Chris Lowe had 15 points apiece for the Minutemen.
Rhode Island scored the last nine points of the first half, cutting a 12-point deficit to three, 31-28, at halftime.
- Can an undersized walk-on earn a spot in Pacific’s dunk contest?
- UConn AD preparing pitch, waiting to hear from Big 12
- UNC gets 1-week extension to respond to 5 NCAA charges
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes new ACC Network
- Beehive Classic features Utah, BYU, Utah State, Weber State
- Attorney: NCAA missed deadline to respond in Tyndall case