George Mason edges Drexel 49-48
FAIRFAX, Va. (AP)—Darryl Monroe hit the game-winning shot with 7 seconds remaining to seal George Mason’s 49-48 victory over Drexel on Wednesday night.
Monroe finished with 15 points and nine rebounds, and also hit two crucial late free thows to help George Mason (18-8, 11-5 Colonial Athletic Association) stay unbeaten at home (13-0) and within a game of first place in the conference.
Evan Neisler led Drexel (14-11, 10-6) with 14 points and 10 rebounds, but fouled out with 42 seconds remaining.
Down 48-45 after a half that had already featured 12 lead changes, Monroe absorbed Neisler’s last foul and hit both free throws to bring the Patriots within one.
Drexel’s Leon Spencer missed the front end of a 1-and-1 with 36 seconds remaining, and after Dre Smith missed a runner in the lane, Monroe hauled down the rebound and hit the winner.
- C.J. Leslie’s last-second shot gives NC State much-needed win
- No. 18 Purdue beats No. 8 Michigan State 82-81 in OT
- Villanova cruises by DePaul 86-59 in 1st game as No. 1 team
- Late basket helps No. 12 Miami edge Pittsburgh 65-63
- No. 22 Kentucky has it easy against Georgia in an 82-48 rout
- No. 19 Dayton rallies late for 76-74 win over Duquesne