Mississippi Valley State beats Southern 81-73
ITTA BENA, Miss. (AP)—Eric Petty finished with 22 points, 14 rebounds and four blocks to lead Mississippi Valley State to an 81-73 win over Southern U. on Monday night.
Dwayne Harmason added 17 points and 10 assists for the Delta Devils (5-21, 5-8 Southwestern Athletic Conference), and Julius Cheeks chipped in with 10 points and five assists.
MVSU held a slim 44-43 lead in the second half, but used a 19-6 run to take a 63-49 lead on a 3-pointer from Cheeks with 8:34 remaining. The Jaguars managed to get within five points, but Petty made a layup with 1:10 left to extend the Delta Devils’ lead to 77-70.
The Jaguars (6-19, 6-7) were paced by Chris Davis, who scored 23 points. Steffon Wiley added 13 points.
MVSU shot 55.6 percent from the field (25-for-45), and outrebounded Southern 38-30.
- Mississippi Valley State beats Southern 81-73
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four
- CBS Columbus affiliate cuts away from North Carolina-Kentucky finish, viewers miss winning shot
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in One Shining Moment
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Final Four game times, matchups, TV schedule, betting odds set
- Luke Maye's dramatic last-second jumper sends North Carolina to the Final Four