Wichita St. 69, N. Iowa 61
WICHITA, Kan. (AP)—Clevin Hannah helped Wichita State get off to a fast start and finished with 14 points as Wichita State upset Northern Iowa 69-61 Saturday.
Wichita State (13-13, 7-8 Missouri Valley) never trailed in winning its seventh in nine games.
Northern Iowa (18-8, 12-3) saw its conference lead trimmed to one game. Adam Koch scored 17 points to lead the Panthers.
Northern Iowa trailed 48-32 with 14 minutes remaining before climbing back. Koch scored seven points in a 15-6 run that cut Wichita State’s lead to 54-47 with 5:03 to play. The Panthers would not get closer until Kerwin Dunham’s 3-pointer with 42.6 seconds remaining that made it 66-61 Shockers.
But Wichita State made three of its next four free throws to help seal the victory.
Wichita State took control of the game with a 15-2 run midway through the first half. The stretch was capped by Reggie Chamberlain’s 3-pointer—one of seven the Shockers hit in the first half—that made it 29-13 Wichita State.
Seconds before halftime, Hannah hit a deep 3-pointer that gave him 12 points and pushed the Shockers’ advantage to 42-25.
- Wichita St. 69, N. Iowa 61
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Michigan team breakdown
- Butler team breakdown
- Kentucky team breakdown
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- Oregon team breakdown
- Purdue team breakdown
- Sweet 16 power rankings: Who are the new favorites to win the national championship?