South Carolina State beats Hampton 74-71 in OT
ORANGEBURG, S.C. (AP)—Jessie Burton scored 18 points to lead South Carolina State to a 74-71 overtime win over Hampton on Saturday.
Jimmy Williams added 17 points and eight rebounds for the Bulldogs (11-12, 6-5 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference), who have won five of their last six games. Jason Flagler and Carrio Bennett chipped in with 14 points apiece.
With a three-point deficit late in the second half, Burton made a 3-pointer with 13 seconds left to tie the score at 60-60 to force overtime. South Carolina State scored five straight points in overtime, capped by Williams’ layup to give the Bulldogs a 65-60 lead with 2:53 remaining.
The Pirates (11-13, 5-6) got within one point, but Burton made two free throws with 10 seconds left to secure the win.
Brandon Tunnell led Hampton with 14 points. The Pirates have lost four of their last five games.
- Xavier-St. Bonaventure Preview
- Gonzaga, Villanova, Kansas stay 1-2-3 in AP poll
- No. 19 Florida St. bounces back with rout of Boston College
- Morris, Thomas lead Iowa St past Texas Tech, 82-80 in OT
- SEC features several teams sitting on NCAA Tournament bubble
- No. 11 Wisconsin beats No. 23 Maryland 71-60 in Big 10 tilt