Old Dominion knocks off Va. Commonwealth 69-65
NORFOLK, Va. (AP)—Gerald Lee scored 18 points to lead Old Dominion to a 69-65 victory over Virginia Commonwealth on Saturday.
The Monarchs (16-9, 9-6 Colonial Athletic Association) scored seven consecutive points in a one-minute span to break a tie and help secure its fifth win in six games.
Lee hit a jumper to give Old Dominion a 59-57 lead with 2:25 remaining in the game. Darius James followed with two free throws and Ben Finney hit a 3-pointer to give the Monarchs a 64-57 lead with 1:25 remaining.
Eric Maynor, who scored 22 points for Virginia Commonwealth (18-8, 11-4), cut the lead to 65-62 with 50 seconds left, but Finney hit two free throws and the Monarchs put the game away from the line.
Finney had 16 points and Frank Hassell added 10 points for Old Dominion.
Bradford Burgess scored 16 and Larry Sanders had 10 points and 14 rebounds for the Rams.
- Old Dominion knocks off Va. Commonwealth 69-65
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four
- CBS Columbus affiliate cuts away from North Carolina-Kentucky finish, viewers miss winning shot
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in One Shining Moment
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Final Four game times, matchups, TV schedule, betting odds set
- Luke Maye's dramatic last-second jumper sends North Carolina to the Final Four