Benson, Johnson lead Texas St. past Lamar, 71-67
BEAUMONT, Texas (AP)—Brent Benson scored 24 points and Cameron Johnson hit the go-ahead layup in the final minute to lead Texas State past Lamar 71-67 Saturday night.
Johnson gave the Bobcats (11-13, 4-7 Southland) a lead with two free throws before breaking a 65-65 tie on a lay-up with 55 seconds remaining. After a missed jumper by the Cardinals, Brandon Bush made two more free throws for a 69-65 lead.
Johnson finished 13 points, and Bush added 14.
Kenny Dawkins scored 18 points to lead Texas State (12-12, 3-7). Jay Brown and Brandon McThay had 14 apiece, with Brown chipping in 11 rebounds and two blocks.
The game featured 11 ties and 13 lead changes, and the largest lead was just seven points by Texas State with 15 minutes remaining in the game.
- Benson, Johnson lead Texas St. past Lamar, 71-67
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0