Coastal Carolina beats VMI 100-97
CONWAY, S.C. (AP)—Mario Edwards scored 28 points, including a game-winning 3-pointer at the buzzer to help Coastal Carolina beat Virginia Military Institute 100-97 on Saturday.
In a second half that was close throughout, Edwards scored on two layups for the Chanticleers (11-15, 5-9 Big South Conference) to cut the lead to 97-94 with 2:18 left in the game.
Dexter Moore’s 3-pointer tied the score at 97-97 with 39 seconds left. After Chavis Holmes missed a jumper to retake the lead for the Keydets (20-5, 11-3), the Chanticleers took over possession and called a timeout, setting up Edwards’ winning play.
VMI, which had beaten Coastal Carolina 103-102 on Jan. 10, led comfortably for the entire first half.
Joseph Harris scored 33 points and grabbed 22 rebounds to lead Coastal Carolina.
Travis Holmes led VMI with 29 points.
- Coastal Carolina beats VMI 100-97
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Michigan team breakdown
- Butler team breakdown
- Kentucky team breakdown
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- Oregon team breakdown
- Purdue team breakdown
- Sweet 16 power rankings: Who are the new favorites to win the national championship?