Belmont edges ETSU 76-73
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP)—Alex Renfroe scored 16 points and Matthew Dotson hit the game-winning 3-pointer to lift Belmont over East Tennessee State 76-73 on Saturday night.
The Bruins (15-9, 11-4 Atlantic Sun Conference) overcame an 11-point deficit to avenge an 87-57 loss to ETSU (17-8, 11-4) on Jan. 19.
Trailing 64-53 with 7:41 left, Belmont used a 16-2 run to lead 69-66.
Mike Smith scored four points to put the Buccaneers up 70-69, then Andy Wicke’s jumper gave Belmont a 71-70 lead. Courtney Pigram hit a layup and free throw for a 73-71 ETSU edge with 1:54 left.
Dotson hit his 3 with 1:28 remaining, and Mick Hedgepeth added two free throws with 3 seconds left. Pigram missed a 3-point attempt at the buzzer.
Henry Harris added 15 points for Belmont and Shane Dansby had 11.
Kevin Tiggs led the Buccaneers with 25 points, Mike Smith had 20 and Pigram 14.
- Belmont edges ETSU 76-73
- Best bets for NCAA tournament Final Four
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four