Delaware defeats George Mason 66-58
NEWARK, Del. (AP)—Marc Egerson had 20 points and 14 rebounds and Delaware held on to defeat George Mason 66-58 Thursday night.
Egerson, the only player in the Colonial Athletic Association averaging a double-double this season, scored 15 points in the first half—including three 3-pointers—to help the Blue Hens (11-15, 5-9) build a 42-28 halftime lead.
Delaware increased the margin to 17, but the Patriots (16-8, 9-5) used a 12-0 run to close within 47-46 with 8:13 left.
Daryl Monroe, who scored 27 points, hit two baskets to give George Mason a 54-52 lead with 4:14 remaining.
After a Monroe dunk, the Blue Hens held the Patriots to two Monroe free throws in the final 1:40, avenging the 78-55 loss to George Mason on Jan. 27.
After a 14-3 start, the Patriots are 2-5, with all five losses on the road.
Jawan Carter added 19 points for Delaware.
- Were Wednesday’s 12:01 a.m. recruiting calls effective or overkill?
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality