Edwards shot at :02 gives UALR 58-57 win over ASU
JONESBORO, Ark. (AP)—Arkansas-Little Rock’s Shane Edwards led the scoring with 16 points and his final shot—a jumper with 2 seconds on the clock—gave the Trojans a 58-57 win Thursday night over cross-state and Sun Belt Conference rival Arkansas State.
UALR (18-6, 11-2 SBC) led 28-22 at intermission, and by as much as 12 points early in the second half. But ASU (13-11, 5-8) slowly trimmed the margin until the Red Wolves got their first lead, 56-54, on a layup by JeJuan Brown with 0:31 remaining. Brown then made it 57-54 with a free throw.
Mike Smith of the Trojans trimmed ASU’s margin to 57-56 with a pair of foul shots a few seconds later, and Edwards got the lead back with his jumper. As the buzzer sounded, Donald Boone missed a 3-pointer that would have given ASU the victory.
Daniel Bryant was the only Red Wolf to score in double digits, with 10 points.
Matt Mouzy added 13 for UALR, and John Fowler scored 10.
- MJ tells UNC frosh to ditch the Kobes, makes a Final Four deal
- South Carolina rolls on without leading scorer, rebounder
- Center Yankuba Sima transferring from St. John's hoops team
- Peter Jok scores 23, Iowa upsets No. 25 Iowa State 78-64
- No. 2 UCLA returns to college basketball's upper echelon
- Rising Bears: Baylor unranked to No. 4 in less than month