Rice defeats Southern Miss 88-72
HOUSTON (AP)—Connor Frizzelle scored 24 points, including six 3-pointers, to help Rice shut down Southern Mississippi 88-72 Wednesday night.
Rodney Foster had 20 points including five off 3-pointers. Cory Pflieger scored 18 and Lawrence Ghoram added 12 for Rice (8-15, 3-6 Conference USA).
R.L. Horton led Southern Miss (13-10, 3-6) with 23. Jeremy Wise scored 19 and Craig Craft had 15 points and 10 rebounds. Courtney Beasley added 13 points.
Rice used a 15-2 run over a 6:34 stretch in the first half to take a a 27-14 lead. The Owls led 41-24 at the half.
Southern Miss could get no closer than nine points in the second half.
- Rice defeats Southern Miss 88-72
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0