Stephen F. Austin tops Northwestern St. 59-51
NATCHITOCHES, La. (AP)—Josh Alexander scored 21 points and grabbed 10 rebounds and Stephen F. Austin held off Northwestern State 59-51 on Wednesday night.
The Lumberjacks (16-6, 8-2 Southland Conference), who have won five of their last six games, led by eight points early in the second half.
The Demons (9-15, 1-8) closed the gap, pulling ahead by two with 11 minutes left. The game was tied at 44 with 6:47 remaining, then Alexander scored five points in a 7-0 run to put the Lumberjacks ahead for good.
Alexander had his first 20-point game since scoring 24 in a triple-overtime win over North Dakota State on Dec. 12. Matt Kingsley and Nick Shaw added 10 rebounds apiece for Stephen F. Austin, which also beat Northwestern State 55-40 on Jan. 17.
Kalem Porterie led the Demons with 12 points and 13 rebounds. William Mosley added 14 boards, 13 on the defensive glass.
- Stephen F. Austin tops Northwestern St. 59-51
- Fantasy basketball pickups: Young royalty worth a look
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Cash-strapped Cal promotes top assistant to replace Cuonzo Martin
- Best bets for Saturday's Elite Eight matchups
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2