Illinois St. beats Evansville 70-68
EVANSVILLE, Ind. (AP)—Osiris Eldridge scored 18 points, including the game-winning layup with just over one second left, to lead Illinois State to a 70-68 win over Evansville on Wednesday night in the Missouri Valley Conference.
The Purple Aces (15-9, 7-7) trailed 45-24 at the break but rallied to tie the game at 68 with 13 seconds left. But Eldridge nailed the layup for the win after a 30-second timeout.
Emmanuel Holloway scored 12 for the Redbirds (20-5, 9-5), who shot 51 percent from the field. Brandon Sampay had 10 points and eight rebounds and Dinma Odiakosa had 10 points.
Shy Ely had 24 points to lead Evansville (15-9, 7-7), who shot 52 percent overall. Nate Garner had 13 points and 10 rebounds.
Evansville outscored the Redbirds 42-20 in the paint. Illinois State outrebounded the Purple Aces 30-25.
- Delaware politician completely owns NCAA on gambling issue
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the west returns and defense triumphs
- CBS Columbus affiliate cuts away from North Carolina-Kentucky finish, viewers miss winning shot
- Recently fired Tom Crean attends Indiana women's basketball game
- How a gut-wrenching loss, a promise, and countless post-practice shots fueled Oregon’s Final Four run
- Somehow ... someway ... the SEC is dominating the NCAA tournament
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Final Four game times, matchups, TV schedule, betting odds set
- Luke Maye's dramatic last-second jumper sends North Carolina to the Final Four
- Follow NCAA tournament Elite Eight action
- Gonzaga's Mark Few after reaching Final Four at last: 'Might as well win it all'
- Xavier's J.P. Macura hits 80-foot shot that is ultimately waved off during wild 30-second stretch