Akron beats Ball State 63-55 in MAC play
AKRON, Ohio (AP)—Chris McKnight scored 13 points as Akron defeated Ball State 63-55 in the Mid-American Conference on Wednesday night.
It was the Zips’ (16-8, 7-3) seventh straight win.
Akron pulled to a 10 point lead at 6:39 of the first quarter and never looked back. Akron was ahead 34-27 at the break, and Ball State never had the lead.
While Ball State went 21-of-54 from the field to Akron’s 18-of-48, the Zips pulled ahead on free throws. Akron scored 21 points from the foul line compared with the Cardinals’ 6.
Ball State (10-12, 5-5) was led by Rob Giles’ 17 points, including five 3-pointers. Jarrod Jones had a game-high 12 rebounds for the Cardinals.
Darryl Roberts scored 11 for Akron and Nate Linhart added 11 boards.
Before the start of the game, Akron coach Keith Dambrot was recognized for his 100th win as head coach of the Zips, which was Dec. 31 at UNC-Greensboro.
- None of Melvin Turpin's ex-teammates saw his suicide coming
- Marquette beats No. 20 Providence 96-91 in double overtime
- Thornwell leads South Carolina to 94-83 win over LSU
- No. 7 Virginia back track with a little luck, lots of 'D'
- USC AD Pat Haden suffers episode of light-headedness
- Florida St looking to continue success against zone defenses