VMI beats Charleston Southern 82-76
LEXINGTON, Va. (AP)—Chavis Holmes notched a double-double, scoring 33 points and grabbing 12 rebounds to lead Virginia Military Institute in an 82-76 win over Charleston Southern on Monday night.
The win clinched the Keydets’ (20-4, 11-2 Big South Conference) fourth 20-win season all-time, and set a new VMI record for Big South victories in a season. This Keydets team broke a tie with the 1995-96 team, which held the previous best of 10 wins.
Ron Burks added 12 points for VMI, going 2-for-2 from beyond the arc.
Jamarco Warren led the Buccaneers (7-16, 2-10) with 21 points, while Omar Carter scored 13 and notched 15 rebounds.
The Buccaneers led by two points at the break, and led 72-70 with 4:14 remaining before VMI closed the half on a game-winning 16-4 run. Holmes hit four free throws and grabbed three boards in the spurt.
- Isiah Thomas's Wednesday goes much better than his Monday
- Louisville AD: School is waiting on NCAA investigation
- East Tennessee State dismisses Shemar Johnson from team
- Alabama coach Avery Johnson gives supplies to flood victims
- Marist replaces Albany on Duke's basketball schedule
- Judge drops NCAA from lawsuit filed by ex-UNC athletes