VMI beats Charleston Southern 82-76
LEXINGTON, Va. (AP)—Chavis Holmes notched a double-double, scoring 33 points and grabbing 12 rebounds to lead Virginia Military Institute in an 82-76 win over Charleston Southern on Monday night.
The win clinched the Keydets’ (20-4, 11-2 Big South Conference) fourth 20-win season all-time, and set a new VMI record for Big South victories in a season. This Keydets team broke a tie with the 1995-96 team, which held the previous best of 10 wins.
Ron Burks added 12 points for VMI, going 2-for-2 from beyond the arc.
Jamarco Warren led the Buccaneers (7-16, 2-10) with 21 points, while Omar Carter scored 13 and notched 15 rebounds.
The Buccaneers led by two points at the break, and led 72-70 with 4:14 remaining before VMI closed the half on a game-winning 16-4 run. Holmes hit four free throws and grabbed three boards in the spurt.
- VMI beats Charleston Southern 82-76
- Xavier's upsets Arizona as cinderella run continues
- Xavier's stunning late rally ends Arizona's season two wins shy of Final Four
- Gonzaga defense key in win over West Virginia
- West Virginia adds to the NCAA tournament of terrible final possessions
- Best bets for Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- NCAA gives North Carolina deadline to repeal HB2
- John Thompson III out at Georgetown after 13 seasons
- Sean Miller and Arizona come up short yet again after late collapse fueled by ill-advised shots
- Xavier celebrated its upset of Arizona with a WWE-style takedown (Video)
- Can Kansas be slowed down by Oregon?
- There's a reason West Virginia's final possession against Gonzaga was such a disaster
- Unsung heroes lead Oregon to Elite Eight
- Michigan's March magic ends against Oregon's stifling defense
- Follow NCAA tournament Sweet 16 action
- The Vertical Mock Draft, Version 2.0