Allen scores 23 as Temple beats Rhode Island 68-62
PHILADELPHIA (AP)—Lavoy Allen scored a career-high 23 points and grabbed 13 rebounds in leading Temple to a 68-62 victory over Rhode Island on Sunday.
Dionte Christmas added 19 points and Craig Williams 12 for Temple (13-9, 5-3 Atlantic 10), which hit on 26 of 55 shots.
Keith Cothran had 16 points for Rhode Island (16-8, 5-4), while Jimmy Baron added 13.
The Owls led 48-30 five minutes into the second half, but Cothran helped rally the Rams to within 64-57 with 3:17 left to play. Rhode Island closed to 66-60 on a 3-point shot by Lamonte Ulmer with 1:36 to go, but Christmas hit two free throws at 0:19 to end the threat.
Baron, hampered by a sore back, played only 26 minutes, but connected on 5 of 6 shots in the game.
- Allen scores 23 as Temple beats Rhode Island 68-62
- Did Memphis really lose a recruit to Division II Ouachita Baptist?
- Gonzaga won't slip too far next season even without Nigel Williams-Goss
- NCAA returns events to North Carolina after state repeals elements of HB2
- Sources: South Carolina guard P.J. Dozier signing with agent
- Allonzo Trier's return makes Arizona a leading candidate for preseason No. 1
- Roy Williams fires back at Maryland president, calling him a 'double idiot'
- Zach Collins enters draft, becomes Gonzaga's first one-and-done
- Hamidou Diallo declares for draft before playing his first game for Kentucky
- Shareef O'Neal, the heralded son of Shaquille O'Neal, commits to Arizona
- Grayson Allen bypasses the NBA draft to return to Duke for his senior year
- Prized Rice transfer Marcus Evans follows his former coach to VCU
- K.J. Lawson's graceless goodbye to Memphis: Shouting 'F--- Tubby' on Snapchat
- Sources: Michigan State freshman Miles Bridges plans to return to school
- Isaac Humphries' exit means Kentucky may lose eight of its top nine players
- The 12 most intriguing (or confusing) hires of the college basketball coaching carousel