Akron breezes past W. Michigan, 87-63
AKRON, Ohio (AP)—Brett McKnight came off the bench to score 19 points and lead Akron to a dominating 87-63 win over Western Michigan on Sunday at Rhodes Arena.
Akron’s bench players powered the win, scoring a combined 48 points. Among them was Brett McClanahan, who had 13 points. Chris McKnight added another 13 and Nikola Cvetinovic had 12 to pad the lead for Akron (15-8, 6-3 MAC).
Western Michigan’s David Kool was the game’s leading scorer with 23 points, but it wasn’t enough for the Broncos (7-15, 4-5 MAC), who had 19 turnovers compared to Akron’s 10.
The Zips took the lead with 12:38 left in the first half and never looked back, up 41-29 at the half. Akron had its largest lead of 32 points with 6:38 left in the game.
Akron had 34 points in the paint, while Western Michigan had just 22.
- Ex-Tar Heel Larry Drew raps about leaving North Carolina
- Former Chicago high school basketball standout gunned down
- Former Houston guard L.J. Rose to transfer to BYU
- OSU officials: Coger died after 40-minute outdoor workout
- NCAA to survey potential host cities on discrimination laws
- George Washington investigating basketball coach Lonergan