S.C.-Upstate beats Stetson 54-53
SPARTANBURG, S.C. (AP)—Bobby Davis hit two free throw with 3 seconds left to lift South Carolina-Upstate to a 54-53 win over Stetson on Saturday.
Stetson claimed a 41-33 lead on an A.J. Smith 3-pointer with 15:46 remaining in the second half. But the Hatters did not score a field goal for almost four minutes, as the Hatters cut the advantage to 42-39 with 12:02 left.
Garfield Blair hit a jumper to push Stetson’s lead to six points with 6:37 left in the game. The Spartans (6-16, 5-8 Atlantic Sun Conference) answered by outscoring the Hatters 8-3 over five minutes later, cutting the lead to 53-52 on Nick Schneiders’ layup.
Davis, who led Upstate with 15 points and 13 rebounds, followed with his game-winning free throws. Schneiders had 10 points and eight rebounds.
Smith led Stetson (10-12, 7-7) with 17 points and six assists, while Blair finished with 12 points.
- USC’s worst fears confirmed: Jio Fontan out for the season
- USC athletic director Pat Haden to step down in June
- No. 25 South Carolina looks for win at No. 8 Texas A&M
- JeQuan Lewis' growth at PG a key to VCU's winning streak
- UNLV dismisses guard Daquan Cook from team
- Cook leads No. 16 Oregon past Colorado 76-56