S.C.-Upstate beats Stetson 54-53
SPARTANBURG, S.C. (AP)—Bobby Davis hit two free throw with 3 seconds left to lift South Carolina-Upstate to a 54-53 win over Stetson on Saturday.
Stetson claimed a 41-33 lead on an A.J. Smith 3-pointer with 15:46 remaining in the second half. But the Hatters did not score a field goal for almost four minutes, as the Hatters cut the advantage to 42-39 with 12:02 left.
Garfield Blair hit a jumper to push Stetson’s lead to six points with 6:37 left in the game. The Spartans (6-16, 5-8 Atlantic Sun Conference) answered by outscoring the Hatters 8-3 over five minutes later, cutting the lead to 53-52 on Nick Schneiders’ layup.
Davis, who led Upstate with 15 points and 13 rebounds, followed with his game-winning free throws. Schneiders had 10 points and eight rebounds.
Smith led Stetson (10-12, 7-7) with 17 points and six assists, while Blair finished with 12 points.
- The loss of Shelvin Mack lowers expectations for Butler next year
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Final Four game times, matchups, TV schedule, betting odds set
- Luke Maye's dramatic last-second jumper sends North Carolina to the Final Four
- Follow NCAA tournament Elite Eight action
- Gonzaga's Mark Few after reaching Final Four at last: 'Might as well win it all'
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- CBS Columbus affiliate cuts away from North Carolina-Kentucky finish, viewers miss winning shot
- Recently fired Tom Crean attends Indiana women's basketball game
- How a gut-wrenching loss, a promise, and countless post-practice shots fueled Oregon’s Final Four run
- Somehow ... someway ... the SEC is dominating the NCAA tournament