Bethune-Cookman knocks off Norfolk State 64-57
NORFOLK, Va. (AP)—Jarrell Thomas scored 14 points to lead Bethune-Cookman past Norfolk State 64-57 on Saturday.
Bethune-Cookman (12-11, 6-3 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference) had lost consecutive games, but outscored the Spartans 12-5 in the final 6:19 to break a tie and split the season series.
Tobias Mahone and Alexander Starling hit consecutive baskets, giving the Wildcats a 56-52 lead with 4:36 left.
Michael DeLoach’s two free throws cut Bethune-Cookman’s lead to 57-55 with 2:30 remaining, but the Wildcats scored the next five points for a 62-55 advantage with 49 seconds left.
Norfolk State (7-13, 5-4) shot only 38 percent from the field (19 of 50).
John Holmes scored 13 points and C.J. Reed added 12 points for the Wildcats.
Deloach scored 18 points, Corey Lyons had 13 and Joseph Dorsett-Jeffreys 12 for Norfolk State. Brandon Monroe had 14 rebounds.
- Bethune-Cookman knocks off Norfolk State 64-57
- Best bets for NCAA tournament Final Four
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four