The Citadel beats Western Carolina 75-66
CULLOWHEE, N.C. (AP)—Demetrius Nelson scored 29 points and grabbed nine rebounds to lead The Citadel to a 75-66 win over Western Carolina on Saturday night.
Cameron Wells added 15 points and Austin Dahn had 10 for the Bulldogs (15-10, 10-4 Southern Conference), who won their seventh game in a row.
Adrian Gailliard led the Catamounts (12-11, 7-6) with 13 points, Richie Gordon added 12 and Brandon Giles finished with 11.
After trailing by five points at the break, the Catamounts took a 54-53 lead on Gailliard’s free throw with 7:21 to play in the second half. But the Bulldogs went on a 22-12 run from that point to seal the win.
The Citadel hit 30 of 41 free throws en route to victory, while the Catamounts went just 8-for-14 from the line.
- Rutgers-Connecticut Preview
- Follow NCAA tournament Elite Eight action
- Gonzaga's Mark Few after reaching Final Four at last: 'Might as well win it all'
- Xavier's J.P. Macura hits 80-foot shot that is ultimately waved off during wild 30-second stretch
- Gonzaga's Mark Few doesn't feel he needs a Final Four to validate his legacy
- How De'Aaron Fox ended Lonzo Ball's college career and lifted Kentucky to the brink of another Final Four
- Recently fired Tom Crean attends Indiana women's basketball game
- How a gut-wrenching loss, a promise, and countless post-practice shots fueled Oregon’s Final Four run
- Somehow ... someway ... the SEC is dominating the NCAA tournament
- Indiana hires Dayton's Archie Miller as new coach
- Canyon Barry's LeBron-esque block is the great play that nobody will remember