Montana defeats rival Montana State 78-63
BOZEMAN, Mont. (AP)—Anthony Johnson scored a game-high 23 points, including 11 straight during a key 2 1/2-minute stretch in the second half, to lead Montana to a 78-63 win over Montana State on Saturday night.
Jack McGillis and Ryan Staudacher added 10 points apiece for the Grizzlies (14-9, 8-3 Big Sky), who were 19-for-23 from the free throw line.
Johnson began his scoring streak on a basket with 5:33 remaining to give Montana a seven-point lead and finished it with two free throws to put the Grizzlies ahead 65-55 with 2:55 left.
Montana trailed only once, at 18-17, and led by as many as 16 points late. The Grizzlies have defeated the Bobcats eight out of the last nine games.
Bobby Howard scored 13 points to lead Montana State (11-10, 5-5), while Danny Piepoli finished with 12.
- Montana defeats rival Montana State 78-63
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four
- CBS Columbus affiliate cuts away from North Carolina-Kentucky finish, viewers miss winning shot
- South Carolina surprises again, advances to first Final Four
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Final Four game times, matchups, TV schedule, betting odds set
- Luke Maye's dramatic last-second jumper sends North Carolina to the Final Four
- Recently fired Tom Crean attends Indiana women's basketball game