Montana defeats rival Montana State 78-63
BOZEMAN, Mont. (AP)—Anthony Johnson scored a game-high 23 points, including 11 straight during a key 2 1/2-minute stretch in the second half, to lead Montana to a 78-63 win over Montana State on Saturday night.
Jack McGillis and Ryan Staudacher added 10 points apiece for the Grizzlies (14-9, 8-3 Big Sky), who were 19-for-23 from the free throw line.
Johnson began his scoring streak on a basket with 5:33 remaining to give Montana a seven-point lead and finished it with two free throws to put the Grizzlies ahead 65-55 with 2:55 left.
Montana trailed only once, at 18-17, and led by as many as 16 points late. The Grizzlies have defeated the Bobcats eight out of the last nine games.
Bobby Howard scored 13 points to lead Montana State (11-10, 5-5), while Danny Piepoli finished with 12.
- Michigan State cheerleader out of the hospital after scary fall
- Graham's 27 lead No. 6 Kansas past No. 3 Oklahoma 76-72
- Ochefu scores 25, No. 1 Villanova beats St. John's 73-63
- Jackson leads Notre Dame to upset of No. 13 Louisville 71-66
- No. 14 Iowa State beats No. 24 Texas 85-75
- Michigan scores final 11 points to beat No. 18 Purdue 61-56