Mercer sends Jacksonville to 72-71 loss
MACON, Ga. (AP)—James Florence scored with 1.3 seconds left to lift Mercer to a 72-71 victory over Jacksonville on Saturday.
Florence’s first shot was blocked by Ayron Hardy, but he came up with the loose ball and hit his next shot to cap Mercer’s 13-3 run in the final 2:39.
Florence finished with 21 points.
Daniel Emerson scored 22 points and had 11 rebounds for Mercer (13-11, 7-6 Atlantic Sun Conference), which has won three of its past four games.
Ben Smith scored 24 points to lead Jacksonville (12-10, 10-3), which has lost consecutive games since a nine-game winning streak.
Hardy gave the Dolphins a 71-70 lead with a jumper with 18 seconds left in the game.
Jacksonville led 68-59 with 2:39 remaining in the game.
Lehmon Colbert added 17 points and Travis Cohn scored 12 for Jacksonville.
E.J. Kusnyer scored 11 for Mercer.
- Mercer sends Jacksonville to 72-71 loss
- Best bets for NCAA tournament Final Four
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in 'One Shining Moment'
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Why Duke's Harry Giles was right to turn pro despite disappointing season
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four