UMBC beats Maine 73-68 in OT
ORONO, Maine (AP)—Chauncey Gilliam scored 8 of his 16 points in overtime to lead Maryland-Baltimore County to a 73-68 victory over Maine on Saturday night.
UMBC (10-13, 4-7 America East Conference) never trailed in overtime as Gilliam opened the session with a driving baseline layup and two free throws. He added two jump shots as the Retrievers hit five of six shots in the extra period and 4-of-6 free throws.
Gilliam’s last basket made it 69-65.
Darryl Proctor led the Retrievers with 26 points and Matt Spadafora added a season-best 17.
Gerald McLemore had 25 points for Maine (8-16, 3-8), which lost the season series to UMBC for the first time in six years. Kaimondre Owes added 15 points.
With Maine trailing 57-53, McLemore pulled Maine even with a free throw and a 3-pointer with 2:42 left in regulation, sending the game into overtime.
The two teams were tied 32-32 at halftime.
- Oklahoma State women’s coach, assistant killed in plane crash
- Defending champion Oregon picked to repeat as Pac-12 winner
- Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim has a sudden wealth of depth
- NCAA accuses Louisville, Pitino of violations in escort case
- Arizona adds to 2017 class with Lee's commitment
- Two conferences to experiment with restricted arc appeals