Manhattan defeats Loyola of Maryland 72-65
BALTIMORE (AP)—Chris Smith scored 17 points to lead Manhattan to a 72-65 win over Loyola of Maryland on Saturday night.
Smith also had nine rebounds for the Jaspers (13-10, 7-6 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference), while Laurence Jolicoeur chipped in with 17 points and eight rebounds.
After the score was tied at 17-17 midway through the first half, Manhattan went on a 10-3 run to assume a 27-20 lead with 5:08 remaining. They carried a 31-24 lead into halftime.
The Greyhounds (11-14, 6-7) stayed close and cut the lead to 61-60 on a 3-pointer from Marquis Sullivan with 1:28 left on the game clock. But Manhattan maintained their lead, ending the game with a 5-0 run in the final 23 seconds to seal the win.
Loyola was paced by Sullivan, who scored 15. Brad Farrell and Jamal Barney chipped in with 12 points apiece.
- UK speaks: Calipari knew about allegations but is 'not at risk'
- Luke Maye's dramatic last-second jumper sends North Carolina to the Final Four
- Follow NCAA tournament Elite Eight action
- Gonzaga's Mark Few after reaching Final Four at last: 'Might as well win it all'
- Xavier's J.P. Macura hits 80-foot shot that is ultimately waved off during wild 30-second stretch
- Gonzaga's Mark Few doesn't feel he needs a Final Four to validate his legacy
- CBS Columbus affiliate cuts away from North Carolina-Kentucky finish, viewers miss winning shot
- Recently fired Tom Crean attends Indiana women's basketball game
- How a gut-wrenching loss, a promise, and countless post-practice shots fueled Oregon’s Final Four run
- Somehow ... someway ... the SEC is dominating the NCAA tournament
- Indiana hires Dayton's Archie Miller as new coach
- Canyon Barry's LeBron-esque block is the great play that nobody will remember