Southern defeats Grambling State 68-57
BATON ROUGE, La. (AP)—Chris Davis scored 15 points to lead Southern to a 68-57 win over Grambling State on Saturday night.
Davis also grabbed six rebounds and dished out seven assists for the Jaguars (5-17, 5-5 Southwestern Athletic Conference). Douglass Scott added 14 points, and Barry Honore’ chipped in with 12.
The Jaguars finished the first half with a 10-0 run, and Steffon Wiley’s layup at the buzzer gave Southern a 38-29 halftime lead.
The Tigers (6-15, 4-6) got within three points when Jordan Lemons’ layup cut the score to 40-37 with 14:30 remaining. But the Jaguars responded with a 9-2 run to push their lead to 10 with 12 minutes left. Grambling State didn’t get any closer than eight points the rest of the game, and eventually trailed by as much as 17.
Lemons and Donald Qualls paced the Tigers wth 12 points apiece.
- Southern defeats Grambling State 68-57
- Dillon Brooks' inextinguishable competitive fire has fueled Oregon's rise
- Duke forward Jayson Tatum to declare for NBA draft
- March Madness 2017: Ranking the most compelling potential Final Four matchups
- Rawle Alkins has sparked Arizona with his toughness, winning mentality
- Michigan team breakdown
- Butler team breakdown
- Kentucky team breakdown
- How will Kansas defend Caleb Swanigan and Purdue, the team built to beat it?
- Best bets for Thursday's NCAA Sweet 16 matchups
- From immortal to quite mortal, Kentucky's Unforgettables face midlife challenges 25 years after their greatest moment
- Ranking this week's Sweet 16 games from most to least compelling
- Will Wade leaves VCU after just two years to become LSU's next coach
- Oregon team breakdown
- Purdue team breakdown
- Sweet 16 power rankings: Who are the new favorites to win the national championship?