Southern defeats Grambling State 68-57
BATON ROUGE, La. (AP)—Chris Davis scored 15 points to lead Southern to a 68-57 win over Grambling State on Saturday night.
Davis also grabbed six rebounds and dished out seven assists for the Jaguars (5-17, 5-5 Southwestern Athletic Conference). Douglass Scott added 14 points, and Barry Honore’ chipped in with 12.
The Jaguars finished the first half with a 10-0 run, and Steffon Wiley’s layup at the buzzer gave Southern a 38-29 halftime lead.
The Tigers (6-15, 4-6) got within three points when Jordan Lemons’ layup cut the score to 40-37 with 14:30 remaining. But the Jaguars responded with a 9-2 run to push their lead to 10 with 12 minutes left. Grambling State didn’t get any closer than eight points the rest of the game, and eventually trailed by as much as 17.
Lemons and Donald Qualls paced the Tigers wth 12 points apiece.
- Southern defeats Grambling State 68-57
- The 13 NCAA tournament plays that absolutely have to be in One Shining Moment
- Joel Berry injury: Roy Williams 'scared to death' over health of point guard's ankle
- Gonzaga Final Four outlook
- North Carolina Final Four outlook
- Where does South Carolina rank among the most surprising Final Four teams?
- Final Four storylines: Droughts end, the West returns and defense triumphs
- Final Four game times, matchups, TV schedule, betting odds set
- Ranking the 20 Final Four starters from most to least valuable
- South Carolina becomes 10th school to send men's and women's teams to Final Four in same year
- How Frank Martin and his sideline fury turned South Carolina into a winner
- Oregon Final Four outlook
- South Carolina Final Four outlook
- Elation and agony: UNC dramatically flips script from last year while UK suffers brutal '92 flashback
- Unlikely hero lifts UNC to a record 20th Final Four
- CBS Columbus affiliate cuts away from North Carolina-Kentucky finish, viewers miss winning shot